Rules of Sawbridgeworth Cricket Club
The name of the club shall be Sawbridgeworth Cricket Club and the club colours shall be dark blue.
- OBJECT OF THE CLUB
- The object of the Club shall be to provide facilities, promote and encourage the playing of cricket.
- The Club shall be non-profit making. Any surplus profits or gains shall be reinvested in the Club. No surplus assets will be distributed to members or third parties.
- MANAGEMENT AND COMMITTEE
- The management and control of the Club shall be in the hands of a Management Committee consisting of fourteen members being the Club Chairman, Club Vice-Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Club Captain, Junior Manager or a person designated by him/her, Ground Chairman, House Chairman, Honorary Membership Secretary, Social Chairman, Bar Chairman, Child Welfare Officers ( 2) and Commercial Manager. The President of the Club shall be an Ex-Officio member of the Management Committee.
- Four members of the Management Committee in 3 (a) above shall form a quorum.
- The Management Committee shall have power to fill any vacancy occurring.
- The Management Committee shall have power to co-opt a member onto that Committee provided that such co-opted member shall not be entitled to vote on any matter concerned with the purchase for the Club or the supply by the Club of any intoxicating liquor.
- SELECTION COMMITTEE
The Selection Committee shall consist of the Club Captain (who shall act as Chairman) and all other Team Captains and Vice Captains, together with the Team Secretary who shall not be entitled to vote. One vote may be recorded by each member per team per day. The Chairman shall have the casting vote. The Hon. Fixture Secretary shall be an Ex-Officio member of this Committee but shall not be entitled to vote.
- SOCIAL COMMITTEE
The Social Committee shall consist of a Chairman and up to four other members and shall be responsible for the organisation of all social functions run by the Club
The Club Chairman and Honorary Secretary shall be Ex-Officio members of all other Club Committees.
The President and all other Officers detailed in 3(a) and Captains and Vice Captains shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting with the proviso in 3(c) above.
- Membership shall be open to all irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, ethnic origin, creed, colour, social status and sexual orientation.
- A candidate for membership of the Club must be proposed and seconded my members of the Club one of whom must be a member of the Management Committee.
- When a candidate has been duly elected the Honorary Membership Secretary shall notify him/her in writing at the same time forwarding a Club Fixture Card containing these rules.
- The name of any candidate for membership of the Club who has been rejected shall not again be entered for membership until 12 months after the date of such rejection.
- A member once elected shall unless his/her membership is terminated under the provisions of Rule 8 remain a member until he/she resigns by notice in writing to the Honorary Membership Secretary , providing that any member who is in arrears with his/her subscription for more than one year shall automatically cease to be a member.
- Non-voting associate members as outlined in Rule 7 below shall be excluded from the privileges otherwise gained by subscribing to full adult membership of the Club
- HONORARY AND TEMPORARY MEMBERS
Subject to the provisions of Rule 4 hereof, the Management Committee shall have power to elect honorary and temporary members for such period as thought fit but such members shall not be entitled to serve on the Management Committee nor vote as members as any General Meeting.
- LIFE MEMBERS
Life membership may be awarded by the Management Committee to members or other persons who, in the opinion of the Management Committee, have rendered outstanding service to the Club and should enjoy the privilege of membership for life without payment or subscriptions.
- JUNIOR MEMBERS
- The Club shall be constituted to run a junior cricket section for boys and girls of more than 7 and less than 15 years of age.
- The Club has adopted the ECB Safe Hands Welfare of Young People in Cricket Policy.
No member under 18 years of age shall be eligible to purchase intoxicating liquor, tobacco or other excisable articles on the Club premises.
Junior membership shall automatically include non-voting associate membership for each parent, carer or guardian of the junior member(s). This membership obliges parents, carers or guardians to observe the Rules and code of conduct of the Club , but does not confer any of the additional privileges which would otherwise be gained by subscribing to full adult membership (whether playing or non playing) of the Club. Any use of the facilities by a parent, carer or guardian ( for example social/training/playing) may incur such charges as applicable to the relevant category of adult membership. Non-voting associate membership for a parent, carer or guardian will cease upon the expiry or cessation of the respective junior membership.
- CESSATION OF MEMBERSHIP
The Management Committee shall have absolute power to expel any member whether playing or non-playing, honorary, temporary, if in the opinion of the Management Committee the conduct of such member, either within or without the Club, shall be deemed injurious to the character or interests of the Club. The member shall have the right to appeal against the decision of the Management Committee. Notice of the appeal, setting out the grounds, must be given to the Honorary Secretary within fourteen days of the date of the said decision. The expulsion imposed will be suspended pending the hearing of the appeal which will be carried out by an appeals panel nominated by the Management Committee. The member shall have the right to attend the appeal hearing. The appeals panel may confirm or reverse the decision and its decision shall be final and binding.
- 100+ CLUB
Members of the fund-raising 100+ Club run by Sawbridgeworth Cricket Club shall automatically become members of the Club, subject to the provisions of Rule 4 and shall enjoy the full amenities and privileges of the Club.
Members may introduce guests to the Club. The names of such guests must be entered into a book kept for that purpose and the entry signed by the introducing member.
The annual subscriptions for playing and non playing members shall be such amounts as are determined at the Annual General Meeting each year.
Any member failing to pay his/her subscription on or before 1st June in each year will not be selected to play for any team and may also have his/her name posted in the Clubhouse until his/her subscription is paid.
Playing and non playing members shall be entitled to vote at any General Meeting and to enjoy the full amenities and privileges of the Club , providing that voting for team captains/vice captains shall be restricted to playing members.
Non-voting associate members as outlined in Rule 7 above shall be excluded from the privileges otherwise gained by subscribing to full adult membership of the Club
- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
An Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held at least once a year in every year and 15 months must not elapse without a General Meeting.
The Club’s financial year commences on 1st November and ends on 31st October of each year. The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held by 15th February of the following year and notice thereof shall be sent to every player at least fourteen days previously. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall be the consideration of the Annual Report and Statement of Accounts and the Election of Officers and the Honorary Auditor. At a General Meeting the voting shall consist of all members entitled to use the Club premises who will have equal voting rights ( subject to Rule 11).
- If at any General Meeting of the Club, a Resolution be passed calling for the dissolution of the Club, the Secretary shall immediately convene a Special General Meeting of the Club, to be held not les than one month thereafter to discuss and voter on the Resolution.
- If at that SpecialGeneral Meeting, the Resolution is carried by at least two thirds of the members present at the Meeting, the Management Committee shall thereupon, or at such date as shall have been specified in the Resolution, proceed to realise the assets of the Club and discharge all debts and liabilities of the Club.
- After discharging such debts and liabilities of the Club, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed amongst members of the Club, but shall be given or transferred to the sports governing body for use in community related sport, another CASC within the scheme or a charity.
- SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
The Management Committee (or any six members entitled to attend and vote at a General Meeting) may call a Special General Meeting at any time by giving 14 days notice thereof and specifying the business to be transacted at such a meeting. Twelve members shall constitute a quorum.
- ALTERATION OF RULES
The Rules of the Club may be altered or varied only at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose, of which fourteen days notice shall be given. Such alterations may only be adopted provided two-thirds if those present vote in favour.
- RESPONSIBILITY OF CLUB
Neither the Club nor the Committee are responsible for anything lost on the Club premises. Members are requested not to leave money or valuables unattended.
- SPIRIT OF CRICKET-MEMBERS BEHAVIOUR ON & OFF THE FIELD OF PLAY
This applies equally to all members whether they are players, parents, coaches or committee members. The Spirit of Cricket involves respect for opponents, captain and team, the role of the umpires, the game's traditional values. Any member not adhering to this code will undergo a disciplinary process as decided by the committee with appropriate sanctions agreed.
The Spirit of Cricket also relates to acceptable and appropriate use of Social Media. Members are strongly recommended to view both the Spirit of Cricket and Social Media guidelines on the club website.
In the Rules of the Club words importing the masculine gender include the feminine where appropriate.
A copy of these Rules will be displayed on the notice board at Town Fields.